The Virology Committee of the American Phytopathological Society met during the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Society. Here is what they did and talked about. The Minutes will be approved at the 2009 Annual Meeting.
Intro | Sessions | Nominations | Student Travel | Web | Collections/NPDN
Minutes of the APS Virology Committee Meeting
APS Virology Committee Meeting
Saturday, August 7, 2010, 8:00 – 9:30 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina
Current Committee Chair: Naidu Rayapati
Immediate Past Chair: Ramon L. Jordan
Current Vice-Chair: Rosemarie Hammond (email@example.com)
The Committee meeting was officially called to order by Naidu Rayapati at 8:00 pm.
2. The current membership list was distributed in the meeting agenda and nominations for new members were made.
3. Special Sessions sponsored by the Virology Committee at the 2010 APS meeting were announced in the agenda and included:
i. Advances in Plant Virus Evolution
ii. Schroth Faces of the Future in Virology
iii. Virus Fishing with Chips: Plant Virus Microarrays and Next Generation Sequencing
4. Acknowledgement of Funding Support for the Special Sessions from:
i. Noble Foundation
ii. APS/APHIS virology working group
iii. American Society of Sugar Beet Technologists
iv. Beet Sugar Development Foundation
5. Naidu encouraged attendance at Special Sessions and Technical Sessions.
6. A discussion of Special Sessions submitted for the 2011 APS meeting was held. The Special Sessions to be submitted were:
i. Potato Virus Y-An Old Virus and A New Problem in Potato (A. Karasev and S. Gray)
ii. Closteroviridae – Current State of Knowledge (N. Rayapati and A. Karasev)
iii. Management of Insect-Transmitted Plant Virus Diseases in the Tropics (N. Rayapati and S.Tolin) (Submitted to IAPPS for support-IAPPS is co-organizer of the APS-IAPPS meeting in 2011)
iv. Genetics, genomics, and proteomics approaches to elucidate arthropod-vector specificity J. Brown)
v. Bioenergy Crops and Disease (R. Nelson, B. Agindotan, C. Maroon-Lango)
Discussions were also help on proposing a virology-related field trip at the 2011 meeting where success stories of biotechnology uses to control plant viruses, such as in cassava, beans, papaya, etc., topics included in item 6 iii. above.
7. Judy Brown has submitted a proposal to APS for a new Subject Committee on “Pathogen-Vector Complexes”. A considerable amount of discussion ensued regarding the subject matter that the committee and that it sold be complementary to the Virology Committee.
8. Anne Dorrance, APS Councilor-at-Large, attended the meeting and discussed committee issues, such as:
9. Nomination and election of Vice-Chair: Lucy Stewart, USDA ARS Wooster, OH was nominated from the floor and was elected Vice-Chair by unanimous vote. She will serve as Vice-Chair in 2011 and as Chair in 2012.
10. The committee discussed tabling the PVY Special Session until the 2012 meeting, which will be held in Rhode Island. It will be submitted in 2011 to the 2012 Meeting Planning Session. In the end, 3 sessions were submitted for the 2011 meeting.
11. The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm.